About the Kids Area | Policies You Should Know About | Volunteer Opportunities
About the Kids Area
The Youth Services Division supports the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library's mission of, "bringing people and information together," by providing reference services, library materials, and programs for youth ages 0-18, parents, teachers, childcare providers, and agencies serving youth. Here are some of the things we do:
- Answer questions in person, by telephone, or electronically by using electronic databases, reference books, and other library resources
- Help with homework
- Help with the Library Catalog
- Help kids and teens find a "good book"
- Picture Books (E)
- Early Readers (E-R)
- Fiction (J)
- Nonfiction (J000-999)
- Books & Audio-Visual materials in Español
- Leap Pad readers and books
- Books on tape and CD, and downloadable audio books
- Videos on DVD and VHS
- Music on tape and CD
- Large Print Books
- Summer Reading for Kids
- Story Times for Infants (6-12 months), Wobblers (12-24 months), Toddlers (24-36 months), Preschoolers (3-5 years) and Bedtime Storytime (all ages).
- Tours & Class Visits
- Kids Book Clubs
- Kids Game Nights and Movies
- Special Programs and Events
- Fiesta De Su Biblioteca
- Día de los Niños/Día de los Libros
- R.E.A.D. DOGS
- Early Literacy Workshops
- Internet Access
- Word Processing & Spread Sheet programs
- Educational and recreational software games on CD-Rom
- Kids Databases for Homework Help
Youth, aged 12 through 18, are served by our young adult program. Reference services, materials, and programs are offered to encourage teens to utilize the Library. In the Corvallis and Philomath libraries, areas called Teen 'scape have been established to provide teens a space where they are free to interact and use library resources without the worry of disturbing adult or child patrons. Listening stations and computers with Internet access and word processing have been reserved for use by teens. Teen 'scape is reserved for use by teens, adults working with teens, or adults wishing to find YA materials. Materials of special interest to teens are found in the YA collection, including graphic novels, Top 40 music CDs, and DVDs. Materials to support homework are located throughout the libraries' collections. Youth Services staff work with agencies throughout the county that serve the teen population. For additional information about young adult services please telephone 766-6962.
Back to top
Policies You Should Know About
Library Code of Conduct
Internet Use Policy
The Youth Services Department is always looking for volunteers to help in the following ways:
1. Electric Kid Room Volunteer. Assist the librarians of the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library in providing children of Corvallis and Benton County educational and recreational computer opportunities.
2. Bedtime Storytime Volunteer. Assist the librarians of the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library in providing children of Corvallis and Benton County with a community based family storytime on Monday evenings from 7:00 - 7:30 p.m.
3. Events Volunteer. Assist the librarians of the Corvallis-Benton County Public Library at library events. Possible events include La Fiesta de su Biblioteca, Teen Late Nights, Teen Game Nights, Kids Game Days, Summer Reading Programs, and other special library events occurring throughout the year.
For more information about volunteering for the Library, please contact Cathi Roberts, Volunteer Coordinator, (541) 766-6444 or by email: email@example.com.
Back to top